In honor of National Hamburger Day on May 29, the Berwyn Development Corporation (BDC) called on Berwynites to determine the best spot to grab a burger. The first round of voting has ended as five Berwyn restaurants move on to the second round.
What started out as a 12-candidate competition has been narrowed down to just five restaurants. Here the remaining participants:
- Big Guys Sausage Stand, 7021 W. Roosevelt Road: The Big Guy Burger is a hand-packed burger made fresh daily with their own special blend of whole cuts of meat. It’s served on a brioche bun with American cheese, Thousand Island dressing, shoestring fried onions and kosher pickles.
- Bubba & Bobby’s Beef, 6333 W. Ogden Ave.: The Bubba Burger is made daily using fresh ground beef and a special seasoning mix. It’s placed on a classic Turano bun with American cheese, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, onion and pickle.
- Cigars and Stripes BBQ Lounge, 6715 W. Ogden Ave.: The Backyard Burger is a flame-cooked patty on a toasted brioche bun. It’s made with a touch of their own home-smoked, burnt rib tip ends and topped with iceberg lettuce, tomato, red onion and sweet and hot pickles.
- Culver’s, 6943 W. Roosevelt Road: The Culver’s Bacon Deluxe starts with fresh, never frozen, Midwest-raised beef and layered with two strips of crisp bacon, Wisconsin cheese, fresh lettuce, ripe tomatoes, pickles, red onion and their signature mayo. It’s served on a lightly buttered and toasted bun.
- Paisans Pizzeria & Bar, 6226 W. Ogden Ave.: The Ape Hanger is hand formed from a premium mix of ground brisket, short rib and angus and topped with grilled jalapeños, grilled onions, pepper jack cheese, chorizo and guacamole on a pretzel bun.
The second round of voting will continue through today, May 16, until 5 p.m. Round two will also call on local judges to give their thoughts on each burger. To cast your vote, visit Why Berwyn.