Berwyn’s Cermak Road will transform into a destination of delectable food and sweets for the 4th annual Taste of Main Street on Thursday, Aug. 27 from 5 – 9 p.m. Tickets for the event are only $10 which allows you to stuff you face with an eclectic mix of food samples from all participating venues (list of venues is below), a raffle entry, a program guide with map of food samples and admission to the after-party reserved for those 21 and over. And…make sure to check the weather and bring your favorite umbrella because this event is happening rain or shine!
According to a news release from the Berwyn Development Corporation, participating venues that will be serving food and sweet samples are as follows:
- Anthony’s Pizza will serve thin crust sausage and pepperoni pizza squares in a homemade sauce that’s layered with mozzarella cheese.
- Big Hurt Brewhouse will serve an assortment of BHB smoked wings in spicy buffalo and BBQ sauces.
- Cafe Latino will serve lechon accompanied by Puerto Rican rice. Lechon is a Puerto Rican dish made by slow-roasting an entire pig over an open fire, making the meat flavorful and the skin crispy. Arroz con gandules is a combination of rice, pork, and gandules (pigeon peas) that are simmered in sofrito, a spice mixture.
- La Lupita Restaurant will serve pozole blanco, an occasional dish popular in Mexico’s Guerrero state. This rich and hearty stew is filled with hominy and pork shoulder and garnished with shredded cabbage, onion, radish, avocado, oregano and pork rinds.
- La Michoacana Premium will serve a single you-call-it scoop of ice cream that can be chosen from over 60 flavors. We recommend that you try the fresa de leche, selected as one of Berwyn’s Best Frozen Desserts, which is a simple combination of rich, creamy ice cream blended with fresh, ripe strawberries. Other popular favorites include cookies and cream, coconut, pistachio, and cheesecake.
- La Quinta de los Reyes Restaurant will serve chicken and potato mini flautas. Crispy on the outside and soft inside, these mini flautas are filled with juicy shredded chicken or creamy potato and topped with guacamole, Mexican-style sour cream, and queso fresco crumbles.
- Masa Uno, Inc. Tortilleria will serve freshly-made corn chips with pico de gallo and guacamole and chicken taquitos, which are deep-fried using Masa Uno tortillas, filled with tender shredded chicken and topped with Mexican-style sour cream and queso fresco.
- McDonald’s will serve a crispy chicken breast filet on an artisan roll and topped with fresh tomato, lettuce, and mayonnaise.
- Old Fashioned Candies will prepare sampler-bags with an assortment of freshly made milk chocolates including mini turtle pretzels, chocolate dipped Oreo cookies, chocolate bark, their famous chocolate-covered strawberry and a small bag of gourmet popcorn.
- Pulqueria Chicago will serve patatas bravas, a Spanish dish consisting of crispy, double-fried potatoes topped with a spicy tomato sauce and tacos alambre, a steak taco wrapped in a corn tortilla and filled with diced green, yellow and red bell peppers, red onion and crispy bacon. Customers 21+ can sample homemade red or white sangria or pulque, which is a traditional cactus wine considered sacred since the Mesoamerican period.
- Subway will serve an assortment of mini sub sandwiches so you can taste them all.
- Vesecky’s Bakery will serve kolacky, a Czech pastry filled with a generous dollop of cheese, apricot, prune, strawberry, pineapple or the traditional poppy seed filling.
- Waldo Cooney’s Pizza will serve thin crust sausage and pepperoni pizza squares filled with a zesty sauce and topped with mozzarella cheese. This pizza was voted as one of Berwyn’s Best pizzas earlier this year.
To register for the 4th annual Taste of Main Street and purchase tickets, click here. Tickets purchased online can be picked up starting at 4:30 p.m. at BMO Harris Bank on 6655 W. Cermak Rd.